Wednesday 7 July 2010

Converted Space Marine Dreadnought

When Planet Strike came out I was inspired to do something with my second Black Reach dreadnought. Like many people I had got two sets (for all those miniatures of course, though I did swap the spare rulebook for even more miniatures).

Really this is an advert for clipping every piece of bling off every sprue and tucking it away in a box.

GW don't do a heavy flamer right arm for their marine dreadnought, so I converted one using the multi-melta arm and the heavy flamer from the Sentinel kit. I made it quite long rather than short to give an obvious difference from the multi-melta and to make it look like something that justifies rerolling failed wounds on everything it hits. The storm bolter has been replaced by a flamer from the 2nd ed marine sprue.

Dread1

Dread2

The resin base is from Fenris games. I made a big order when 5th ed came out and all my marine resin bases are from there.

The Black Reach Dreadnought is a very nice 4 piece model, and paints just fine out of the box. However on both of mine I have been unable to resist adding additional details to a) make them look different to each other and b) make them look more interesting. With things like dreadnoughts I don't think anyone should hesitate to add a bit more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment